23 December 2008

Some time to write up some old stuff:

Dream



The oppressed are our keepers
twisting a tennis ball on a traject
torqued like a tap jet.

The dog, a boxer, runs -
past the fallen ball. And I daren't
dismount this wall, shoulder
to these front school gates. Camilla,
I want to say, Camilla, can
you pass this ball back up to me?


-

Why d'you Sing Hallelujah?


At a Christmas when 'Hallelujah' is number one and two in the charts, here's a really good reference to it by Damien Rice (didn't like his appearance on Jools Holland a year or so ago, but am warming to his first album 'O' now.)

-

The Fall, York Duchess, 13/11/08


What a gig applaud.gif

I didn't realise I enjoyed it quite this much:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32399943@N05/3029207373/

Calvin Party worked really hard - a little Pixies, Velvets, Human League in places even. I feared The Fall might have trouble blowing them away, which is ridiculous in retrospect.

Opening track proper 'Fall Sound' went on a little too long without variation, but after that I don't have a single complaint. Once we got to 'Wings' the evening didn't look back. 'Carry Bag Man' was surprisingly excellent, possessing a different structure to most of the set - a wash of guitar with bass runs over the top. I loved 'I've Been Duped', and 'White Lightning' was hugely enjoyable. Glad to be in a mosh pit again and to have a can of beer in my hand at a gig. I haven't been getting out enough.


-

Tender Is The Night review


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home