04 May 2007

Dream



With restless class. Italians. One puts up hand: 'We don't want to be in the same teams again.' Outside of class we have moved to a new hotel. I am living with Artef. 'What do you want to do?' I ask. One student makes a long, irritating sound. I don't acknowledge it. I pull my chair towards him and set it down less decisively than I had hoped.

A revving is heard and we go to the window. A fleet of motorcycles is riding down the road with a blip of blue lights which flash on - flash off. The Italian girls let out a 'te-te-te-te-te' sound, unusual, related to 'Chinito Chinito' perhaps.

When I turn back to the classroom, a Gosie-like girl is sat on the desk beside the boy who was making a noise. This is the last thing I need. They don't move.

'I'll see what I can do,' I say with an eye to letting them go. 'Stay here.' I cross the road and half of them follow me. 'Go back!' I say. One of the girls, a little like Monica (?) refuses, 'How old are you?' I ask. 'Fourteen' she says and throws her swimming goggles to the pavement with a crack. 'Exactly. I have no choice.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home